Chine Colle: the whole picture
I now felt I’d learned enough about the techniques to try and chine colle a whole picture. I had the ambition to create a “stained glass” effect, which would be achieved by covering the whole image and printing on black, or dark coloured paper.
I tried various processes. I realised how difficult it was to handle a large number of pieces of tissue paper, and that the process had to be simplified. This one was done by creating two large blocks of white and lilac tissue paper for the background and foreground areas. A blue shape would be enough to suggest the shaded part of the jug. Then, I cut a yellow piece in the shape of the apples, and then prepared the other colours to be stuck to this one, so that in the end I had a single unit of different colours for the apples. I cut only one piece for the pear and planned to have the lilac underlying the shaded part.
Good plan. Trouble is I forgot the first lesson, and place the shapes in the wrong order on the inked block, so that the apples and pear landed behind, not in front of the larger areas. Pity, because the apples came out quite subtle, even though they were also the wrong way round.
This time I got the parts the right way round. But my cutting is a little too close to the shapes and in some parts have fallen short. I’m thinking though that it’s starting to have a medieval look to it.
Here, I tried gluing the colours to a large white piece to keep them all together. The placement of the colours is a bit off, and it looks very rough, but not in a good way….
Much more exact- the white paper fits the frame and the colours have landed about right.
This was rough. Roughly torn colours. They all started peeling off the block and I ended up glueing them down by brushing glue over the top. So the whole thing is shiny, which does suggest glass.
By this stage I’d got a bit fed up of the picture, to be honest.